18th May 2015
After Pedirka the track led through monotonous country till we arrived at Dalhousie Ruins. Dalhousie used to be a thriving station, mainly raising cattle. The homestead was abandoned in 1925 due to amalgamation with other properties. Over the years the date palms infringed on the wells and were so abundant, that they were stifling the water source and the natural vegetation. Most of the palms were cleared in 2010 and in 2012 the Friends of the Simpson Desert started a re-vegetation program. Today it is an historical significant accumulation of ruins. We both enjoyed this place, making it a highlight of our trip so far.
We appreciated all the plaques that had been erected as they told us some of the history of the place. Lesley took photos of some of them – which are reproduced here.