23rd January, 2018.
Having settled in to our campsite at The Lea Scout Campground, we set off to explore Hobart and find our way around. We found a parking spot in Salamanca Place with a 2 hour limit but the parking machine only accepted coins which had us scratching around in our wallets for the correct change. We decided just to wander as the whim took us to use up our two hours. There are beautiful historic buildings at every turn in Hobart, all in terrific condition.
It was not long before we found ourselves down at the docks. This cutter, Westward, a former two time Sydney to Hobart Ocean Yacht Race winner is permanently moored as part of the Maritime Museum display. What a beautifully crafted vessel and such a contrast to today’s high tech boats.
Hobart City Hall.
Hobart Post Office.
In the Elizabeth Street Mall, right in the city centre, the Hobart Rivulet, which was once the water supply for the city, can be seen running under the road. The bridge dates back to 1841 and the stone arches still support the road above it.
I think there must have been a T&G Building on a corner site in every capital city of Australia at one time. This one is particularly well preserved.
St David’s Anglican Cathedral.
This gull seemed unimpressed by the importance of the personage it was using as a perch, Sir John Franklin, Lieutenant Governor of Van Dieman’s Land from 1837-1843. An explorer, he later lost his life on an expedition which discovered the North West Passage, in Arctic Canada.
This impressive square rigged Tall Ship, Windeward Bound, is a training vessel on which all aspects of seamanship are taught to youth aged 18 and over. It is also available for private charter.
Some of the lovely old buildings at Salamanca Place.
Our parking limit expired, it was time to move on. Fortunately, we had found another parking area with a 3 hour limit which would give us time to take the Hop On Hop Off bus around the city and this parking machine accepted card payment.
We had time for a quick lunch of fish and chips before catching the 1pm bus from the Visitor Information Centre. Our bus, while a double-decker, was not open roofed so the following photos were taken through glass hence the quality is not ideal.
How the driver managed to manoeuvre that behemoth around the narrow streets of Battery Point amazed us.
As time was a bit tight, we did not hop off the bus at all but, as our tickets were valid for 2 days, we took note of what interested us for our return the next day.
Heading back to camp, we detoured off the Southern Outlet at the exit to the Mount Nelson Signal Station, reputed to have wonderful views. Built in 1811, the descriptive panels give a good insight into the workings of the semaphore signalling which reported shipping movements first for the port of Hobart and later for both Hobart and Port Arthur. In 1958, a base station for ship-to-shore radio-telephone was installed at Mount Nelson and the station ceased operation in 1969.
There is a very nice cafe in the former Signalman’s cottage. Apparently, the food is very good but, already having had lunch, we settled for coffee looking out over the harbour.
The Tasman Bridge as seen from Mount Nelson. On the 5th January, 1975, the bulk carrier, Lake Illawarra, slammed into a pylon of the bridge bringing down a 127m section of the roadway and killing 12 people (7 crew and 5 occupants of 4 vehicles which plunged into the river). More information can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasman_Bridge_disaster